7 Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Dogs

Sometimes feeding our dogs with table scraps is a form of reward, right? But without knowing it, you could potentially endanger  your dog’s digestive system. Some “people foods” are not suitable to be fed to your pet. Be aware of the common foods that you could have tossed to your pooch. That could be the reason why your pet develops digestive upsets.

Foods such as candy, chocolate, nuts, and grapes can be harmful to your dog if ingested in excess amounts

These are the foods that you should not make your pet eat intentionally or unintentionally:

  • Chocolate – Stop feeding your poodle Hershey those chocolate bars. It contains theobromine which can cause your pet’s heart to beat too fast causing death if it is overly active. Don’t let her lick the icing from your fingers!
  • Nuts – Some of us love to eat nuts while watching TV. When your attention was on the screen, your dog has been munching on your nuts or an especially nutty chocolate bar. Walnuts and macadamia nuts are very toxic to dogs. Within 12 hours of ingestion, symptoms like vomiting, difficulty standing and elevated body temperature may develop and can lead to paralysis and ultimately death.
  • Candy – It was alarming to know that candies especially those that contain xylitol (an artificial sweetener) can cause illness to dogs. Candies are one of the most common treats that kids give their dogs. Did you know that it can lead to seizures and hypoglycemia or a sudden drop of the dog’s blood sugar?
  • Avocado – Another misconception is that giving some guacamole to the dog is harmless. If you have a backyard garden with avocados growing in it, keep away your pets from the trees. Persin is a toxin found in the tree’s stem, leaves and bark.
  • Dairy products – Milk and dairy products can also cause diarrhea and allergies to dog. Usually, you’d find your dog scratching after eating an ice cream cone. That is the manifestation of the skin allergies.
  • Grapes and raisins – Some dogs do not like to eat raisins when these are offered to them and they are the lucky ones. Grapes, raisins and other currants contain a toxin that lead to damage in the kidneys of dogs.
  • Onions and garlic – Cooked, uncooked or even, powdered forms of onions and garlic are highly harmful to your pet’s health. Onions can bring about anemia as it can damage the red blood cells while garlic is less damaging. But, the regular feeding of onions can also increase the effects.

If your pet has accidentally ingested these foods and you see any symptoms, seek the help of your veterinarian.

About author

PetMeds Pro

There are 0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.