As the cooler weather of autumn falls upon us, many pet owners think they can stop giving their pets flea and tick preventatives. But doing so is a mistake. Cooler weather doesn’t kill fleas and ticks. In fact, deer ticks are at their peak during the fall and spring. Veterinarians recommend using flea and tick medications until well into the cold winter months. In warmer climates, where the temperatures don’t drop below freezing on a regular basis, it’s necessary to use flea and tick medications throughout the year.
There are different treatments you can use to prevent and treat flea infestations.
Flea medicine for dogs and cats
- Topical, Spot-on flea treatment, such as K9 Advantix II, Advantage II, Frontline Top Spot & Frontline Plus, and Fiproguard Plus
- Flea spray, like Be Flea Free Spray and Frontline Spray
- Oral flea medication, like Program Oral Suspension (for cats only) and Program Tablets (for cats and dogs), Sentinel, and Comfortis (Sentinel and Comfortis are for dogs only and require a prescription)
Other pet products to help kill and control fleas:
- Flea shampoos, such as Be Flea Free Shampoo
- Flea dips, like Bio Spot Pyrethrin Dip
- Flea collars (for cats), like Bio Spot Flea & Tick Collar for Cats & Kittens
There are some flea treatments that also prevent heartworm and other parasites. You can get them from 1-800-PetMeds, but you will need a prescription from your veterinarian to purchase them. Two of these treatments are:
- Advantage Multi – Advantage Multi for dogs is used to prevent heartworm and to treat and control flea infestations, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. Advantage Multi for Cats is used to prevent heartworm and to treat and control flea infestations, roundworms, hookworms, and ear mites. It truly is a convenient way to prevent, treat, and control many of the common parasites your pets could come in contact with.
- Revolution – Revolution is used to protect your pets from heartworms, fleas, and ear mites. It also protects dogs from ticks and sarcoptic mange and cats from roundworms and hookworms.
Not all flea treatments are created equal. To compare the different types of flea treatments offered by 1-800-PetMeds check out our flea and tick treatment comparison tool.
We also have flea treatments for your home, like:
- Bio Spot: Fogger, Carpet Spray, and Carpet Powder
- Vibrac: Knockout Fogger and Yard Spray
- Premise Treatment: Natural Home Flea Treatment by Richard’s Organics
Keep your pets safe, and enjoy a flea-free fall. Stock up on flea preventives and treatments today!
There are 0 comments