Be Prepared in the Event of an Accidental Pet Poisoning

It is important to be prepared with emergency numbers in the event your pet gets into something toxic

Today marks the last day of National Poison Prevention Week. When you have pets, it is important to keep a poison-safe home. However, pets are naturally curious and can get into trouble in even the safest of homes. It is natural to feel panicky should your beloved cat or dog accidentally ingest something toxic; consequently, it is important to be prepared in advance, so you know exactly what to do in the event that your pet accidentally ingests something harmful:

  • Have emergency numbers for your vet, an after-hours emergency vet, and a poison helpline posted in an easily-accessible place. You can reach the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680 around the clock. Be aware that this hotline does charge a per-incident fee.
  • Act immediately.  With many substances, the quicker you take action, the more likely your pet will recover.
  • Be prepared to provide as much information as possible, such as the agent your pet ingested or was exposed to (if known), your pet’s symptoms, and how long ago your pet ingested the toxic substance. If possible, be prepared to bring samples of your pet’s vomit or stool.

Hopefully, you will never have to use this information, but as the saying goes, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

About author

Erin

There are 0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.