Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Dogs

Ingestion of grapes or raisins may cause toxicity in dogs

Most people are aware that chocolate is toxic to pets, but not as many pet parents are aware that they should not feed grapes or raisins to their pets. Grapes sound like a healthy treat, right? While experts have not identified the compound in grapes and raisins that causes the toxicity in pets, ingestion of this fruit can cause kidney failure in some dogs. Since ingestion of only a small amount can cause your dog to become ill, be careful of treats like cookies that may include raisins. The initial symptoms of raisin or grape toxicity in dogs is vomiting or diarrhea, and renal failure may develop within 48 hours of ingesting grapes or raisins.

Grape and raisin toxicity has only been documented in dogs, perhaps because cats are less likely to these foods. According to the ASPCA, “Because there are still many unknowns regarding the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, it is advisable not to give grapes or raisins to dogs in any amount.”  If you suspect your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, contact your vet immediately. Depending upon when the grapes or raisins were ingested by your dog, treatment may include inducing vomiting, administration of activated charcoal, supportive care and monitoring of kidney function. Prevention is always best, so make sure to store this fruit where your dog cannot gain access.

About author

Erin

There is 1 comment

  • […] addition to grapes and raisins, avocado is another fruit that many pet owners don’t realize may pose a danger to pets. I was […]

  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.