Beware the Poison, Part Two: Toxic Troubles

Our last article about household poisons dealt with common misconceptions and items that you may not have known were very dangerous to have around your home. This article will talk about things that are obviously dangerous but often overlooked. It’s easy to forget that your dog is a nosy little creature that is going to seek out trouble whether you are looking or not. There are many things that he could get into that may not even think of.

Ingestion of Topical Products
One very common product in the homes of dog owners that we don’t think of as toxic is flea and tick medication.  They are usually applied topically to the back of your pet’s neck and are not thought of again because used properly, these products are safe and effective. Most people don’t think about their dogs getting into the stuff but it happens more than you’d think. Every year, thousands of calls are made to poison control about dogs getting into the flea medicine. Problems occur not just because dogs ingest it but also when incorrect doses are given to pets, especially small sized dogs. Be sure to weigh your dog and not just guess before buying and administering flea and tick medicines. It is also important to keep cats away from flea and tick medications made for dogs only.

Rat and mouse poisons, blocks, and pellets are terrible traps for dogs. Mouse poison can work in several different ways and the severity of the situation will depend on the size of your dog, how much he ingested, and the type of poison. In many cases, the symptoms will not even appear until a few days after it’s been eaten. The poison doesn’t even have to be directly consumed; many dogs become poisoned after eating a poisoned mouse. If you have a rodent problem where your pets reside, use poison as a last resort.

Chemicals are everywhere. If you live in a house with kids or with pets, chances are pretty good that you’ll be cleaning something sooner or later. There are many very effective household cleaners that can be made from everyday ingredients like vinegar or baking soda; however, most people find it more convenient to purchase cleaners from the store. Here is a list of common chemicals that are found in almost every home that could be fatal to your dog:

1. Antifreeze
2. Paint Thinner
3. Chlorine and Algaecides
4. Bleach
5. Linoleum
6. Batteries
7. Zinc
8. Fertilizers

Every year, thousands upon thousands of dogs are poisoned by the above products that are just lying around the house. It’s so important to keep things in containers and put away in closets or on shelves. Don’t ever let your dog roam the garage unsupervised.

What to Do?
If you suspect poisoning in your dog, stay calm and keep him calm. Time is of the essence and treatment needs to happen quickly in order to be effective. If you know what your dog got into, put it into a bag and keep it with you for the vet. Call the Poison Control Center or the vet immediately. The Poison Control specialists will be able to help quickly, especially if you know what the culprit is. Many times they can put your fears at ease.

Remember that the best way to prevent dog poisoning is to stick with a high-quality dog food and to pet-proof your home.

About author


There are 0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.